Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Should i drink that tea or coffee, sure if its a hot drink.

I recall being new and really green behind the ears during my first short stay within Egypt. This visit which lasted only about three months took place toward the end of 1993 and was entirely too long for the other six team members.Which came along and were necessary to accomplish our contractual scope of work.

Hot drinks are ok for consumption, but those food items your thinking to purchased from the little wooden carts or from the roadside stands should be avoided.

I could hardly wait to begin to experience Egypt first hand.I roamed the Heliopolis area at night time alone, sampling the local foods and drinks at random from shops as they were discovered. By the third day i had the worst case of strep throat since child hood.The other six guys got a real charge out of this as i had been poking plenty of fun at them the "girls" for their fear of discovering Egypt.

I recalled passing by a pharmacy during one of my walks and decided to visit and see what was available for my sore throat, infection and fever.The pharmacist was direct and to the point He asked if i was new to Egypt and how long I had been in country. I replied to his questions and he began to gather numerous boxes of medication from the assorted shelf's located around the shop while making a pile on the counter directly in front of me. At this point I began to think I was going to die while watching the pile grow into a small mountain.

He quickly pulled a single box of antibiotics from the pile he made and informed me it would begin to clear up the throat problem by tomorrow. I began to open the box to take the first dose of medicine with a soda the pharmacist had one of the workers get from the store next door.He took the time and explained why first time visitors often get ill and what other travelers type illness we would come down with at some point over the next couple months. He took the time and explained to me about all the other medications he placed on the pile.

Time proved he knew exactly what he was speaking about as almost everybody became ill at some point over the next three months.But we were now semi prepared to cope with it do to the kind and helpful pharmacist.

He introduced me to a couple of my best new friends "antinal,eurocarb and electrolytes" for combating the revenge of the Pharaohs along with and antiseptic mouth wash to use twice a day.He also explained that lemon is useful in helping with rehydration issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment